The news of pregnancy does not always bring joy, there are moments in life when the appearance of a child is not desirable. When is the menstrual cycle restored after an abortion? What does delay after surgery mean? A woman, seeking to get rid of an unnecessary position, resorts to an abortion procedure. Already after the operation comes the thought, in what timeframe will come after an abortion. These experiences are associated with the desire to maintain health and prevent another pregnancy. Interruption is made in different ways, depending on the duration of pregnancy. A woman according to her menstrual cycle can judge the regenerative processes of the reproductive function. A delay in menstruation after an abortion during this period can mean a serious complication.
Monthly after vacuum aspiration
This type of surgery is used in early pregnancy. A special device gently cleans the uterus from the ovum - during this process there is minimal contact with the mucous membranes. Vacuum aspiration refers to the most benign type of abortion. But even a minor violation of the mucous membranes of the genital organs leads to a failure in the menstrual cycle. The body needs time to recover, including hormonal balance.
From a medical point of view, after a vacuum aspiration, the menstrual cycle starts at the moment of uterine cleansing. Immediately there are heavy discharge of menstruation, indicating the removal of unwanted remnants of the uterine lining. Normally, full menstruation comes in 1.5–2 months, while the discharge is not as intense as it was before. The main thing is not to have an unpleasant smell and unusual inclusions (green or black).
Monthly after medical abortion
For miscarriage in the early stages are used 2 types of drugs. Reception of the first leads to a blockage of progesterone synthesis - this causes fetal death. The second type of medication affects the contractile function of the uterus, accelerating the expulsion of the dead embryo.
The menstrual cycle in women after medical abortion stabilizes in 2-3 months. But the monthly themselves appear immediately after taking the drug. Uterine bleeding goes into full menstruation. In the first days of miscarriage, the discharge is abundant, after a week only minor blood smears remain on the daily lining. The following periods for most women after an abortion begin according to the terms. The only difference is the number of menstruation days differs from the usual (more or less). Such a rapid restoration of reproductive function is due to the fact that there is no traumatic uterine mechanisms for medical abortion.
Menstruation after instrumental abortion
Surgical abortion is carried out until 22 weeks of pregnancy, and this explains the harm done to the female body. This is the most aggressive method of abortion. After all, by this time the fetus already has an impressive size, cleansing the uterine cavity damages tissues and vessels. In the postoperative period, the woman appears bloody, non-menstrual. Only by 30–35 weeks does the menstrual cycle improve its work after instrumental abortion. Menstruation is characterized as scant and inconspicuous - this is due to hormonal instability. Gynecologists advise after an abortion to start taking birth control pills. They not only protect against unwanted pregnancy, but also help restore hormones.
Such a picture is possible only if there are no complications after surgical abortion. Some women in the postoperative period, there is inflammation, leading to heavy bleeding. There are cases when the uterus is not completely cleared, additional surgery is required. With a long delay of menstruation after an abortion, it is necessary to check the genitals, often after cleaning a cervical spasm occurs.
How long are the first periods after the intervention?
With any methods of abortion, the day of the procedure starts as the beginning of the menstrual cycle. But not all women immediately begin bleeding. Their appearance after abortion depends on the individual characteristics of the woman’s body, the method of interruption and the quality of uterus cleansing. Abundant periods after medical abortion may occur due to incomplete removal of the ovum from the uterus. The same situation arises with the lack of professionalism of the doctor conducting the surgical intervention. A woman will have to undergo a uterine cleaning procedure.
The duration of the first menstruation, especially after medical abortion, is about 10 days. Allocation is abundant, they contain residues of the endometrium and fetus. Even with a scant menstrual period, a woman is recommended to stay in bed for a couple of days after an abortion, not to overwork and, of course, not to carry weight.
Monthly or heavy bleeding?
After an abortion in women come heavy discharge of menstruation, and it is very important to realize in time the moment when they go into uterine bleeding. This situation is observed in 11-12% of women after abortion by the instrumental method. This consequence of the operation is characterized by:
- per day more than 100 ml of bleeding (you need to change the strip every half hour),
- abundant periods last more than 7 days,
- after the cessation of heavy bleeding, appears after a few days,
- there are no clots in the discharge, their consistency is liquid, the color is bright red,
- pain is almost always absent in uterine bleeding,
- unpleasant smell from the vagina,
- before fainting in a woman.
The consequence of heavy periods can be the development of anemia. This violation leads to oxygen starvation of tissues in the human body. The woman has dizziness and malfunction of the cardiovascular system, weakness and apathy. Immediate treatment with iron deficiency drugs is required.
Unlike heavy discharge of monthly uterine bleeding without surgical intervention can lead to a more serious consequence - death. Before the ambulance arrives, the woman must give up any physical actions, take a prone position, put ice wrapped in a towel on the lower abdomen.
Why not monthly: reasons
Delay in critical days after an abortion for 25–35 days is normal. It is explained by the peculiarities of a woman's menstrual cycle. When the delay in menstruation after an abortion lasts a long time, then the woman should consult a gynecologist and undergo a thorough examination. The main reasons for the delay after abortion are:
- Hormonal failure - oral contraceptives are assigned to restore reproductive function.
- Inflammation in the genitals - a course of treatment is determined after finding out the source.
- Damage to the uterus - tissue regeneration will take up to six months.
In the absence of menstrual bleeding for more than 35 days, the woman needs to accurately determine the cause of the delay. After all, this situation with the menstrual cycle is a consequence of incomplete abortion or new pregnancy. Abundant bleeding that lasts more than 10 days after surgery, due to incomplete curettage, as well as due to mechanical injury to the cervix. During an abortion, infection sometimes occurs in the female genital tract. The symptoms of such a situation are a sharp unpleasant smell of discharge, a change in their consistency, itching and burning of the genital tract.
The delay in menstruation after an abortion occurs when tissue scarring is soldering together. Because of these adhesions, the female genitals stick together, the removal of menstruation is difficult. With such a complication after abortion, the woman is threatened with infertility.
The resumption of menstruation also depends on such factors:
- The general condition and age of the woman
- type of abortion,
- the quality of drugs and tools
- professionalism of the doctor.
Each method of abortion causes harm to a woman’s body. Therefore, it is important to try to avoid an unplanned conception, and if it does happen, then decide on an abortion should be in the early stages. Thus, a woman will protect herself from many complications, shorten the recovery time of the body, and answer the question when the menstruation begins, with a light heart, answer in the next menstrual cycle. It is necessary to monitor the state after an abortion and respond to the slightest consequences in tandem with your doctor.
The pros and cons of medical abortion
The benefits of a medical abortion are quite enough, but there are significant disadvantages.
- The effectiveness of the manipulation - 92-99%.
- Does not require prior preparation and pain relief.
- The speed of manipulation - only taking pills.
- No trauma to the endometrium and uterine cervix.
- Remains reproductive ability.
- Normal perception in a psychological aspect.
- When the pills do not work properly, the embryo can fully or partially remain in the uterus. In order to remove it, it is necessary to resort to instrumental abortion.
- Uterine blood loss (55% of cases).
- Nauseous feeling.
- Intense abdominal pain.
- Blood pressure jumps.
- Hormonal disruptions.
- Infectious lesions of the genitals.
How is it held and at what time?
- The method of termination of pregnancy with pharmacological preparations, carried out without surgical manipulations, exclusively in the early stages (up to 6 weeks), the limit is up to the 49th day from the starting day of the last menstrual period. Risk and performance are directly dependent on time - the sooner the better.
- Pharmabort should be carried out exclusively according to the decision of the doctor. Currently, many domestic and foreign medicines are used, which should be used strictly for the purpose of the gynecologist.
- In order to safety for women, prevent complicationsThey are not supplied in pharmacies and are available exclusively in specialized clinics.
- TNotes must be taken at the doctor's office. As a rule, the whole process takes 1-2 hours. If no side effects occur, then after a few days the patient is invited again to take another pill.
Perhaps, as with other methods of abortion, but at times less likely.
- When the bleeding goes beyond the limits of the norm (more than 150 g for all days), special means are prescribed to the woman.
- Feeling unwell can be a symptom of excessive blood loss.
- Abundant bleeding can cause anemia (low hemoglobin levels), interruptions in pressure, and poor health. Medication will help to eliminate such manifestations to the patient.
Probable lack of effect
And, as a consequence, the continued growth and development of the embryo. The danger of congenital malformations in the future child exists, despite the fact that the negative impact of consumed pills on the emerging fetus has not been officially proven. In such a situation, a woman is offered to terminate a pregnancy by another method.
A very serious complication, provoked by remnants of the embryo, amniotic membranes inside the uterus. As usual, this happens as a result of an erroneously calculated dose of the active ingredient.
If not treated in a timely manner, this condition threatens the appearance of inflammation in the uterus, inability to bear children, and in general is dangerous to the patient's life.
What determines the onset of menstruation?
Despite some specific norms, the recovery of the menstrual cycle in each patient proceeds individually. It is caused by such factors as age, the general condition of the woman, the presence of gynecological diseases and hormonal imbalance, the number of previous pregnancies and the characteristics of their course, the period of abortion.
The qualification of a specialist is an important factor influencing the future development of events.
At the current time there are three ways to terminate pregnancy, which are practiced depending on the period:
Vacuum interruption or mini abortion (up to 6 weeks)- elimination of the embryo by vacuum suction,
- Pharmacological abortion (up to 7 weeks) - performed thanks to drugs (mifepristone, pencrofton) that reject the germ,
- Instrumental interruption (from 4 to 22 weeks) - surgery, during which the specialist scrapes the inner surface of the uterus and removes the embryo.
With vacuum suction of the ovum, the risk of incomplete release of the embryo is higher than with pharmacological abortion. In addition, the failures of the menstrual cycle with a mini-abortion more significant.
Leading to the risk of harming a woman’s health, is scraping (instrumental abortion), since it is the most traumatic. Surgical interruption is likely to impair the integrity of the uterus with instruments.
Features of menstruation after medical abortion
Any termination of pregnancy, as a medical event, inevitably entails the risk of complications. Some negative consequences and complications after an interruption may be specific to a particular way to terminate a pregnancy.
For example,In drug abortion:
- slight pain in the abdomen,
- nauseous feeling
- contractions of the smooth muscles of the uterus.
In 1-2.5% during pharmacological abortion, pregnancy does not stop, up to 7.5% of episodes a partial abortion occurs, with additional curettage being performed.
First monthly after medaborta
- Menstruation after the medicinal termination of pregnancy, often long and abundant, can reach up to 10 days. This is due to the fact that the rejection of the endometrium during the suspension of pregnancy occurs in stages, as when curettage. When the bleeding is severe, it is mandatory to clean the uterus.
- Full menstrual periods after an abortion occur approximately after 28-35 days. And since abortion provides a strong hormonal disorder in the body, menstruation can be very insignificant, due to the oppression of the work of the appendages.
How to determine the date of the first monthly cycle?
- The day when detachment from the surface of the uterus of the fetus occurs, is the first day of menstruation after an abortion. A delay of 10 days is the norm.
- A longer lag may indicate a new implantation of the ovum to the walls of the uterus or about diseases of the child-bearing sphere.
- Strong and large amounts of menstruation after medaborta due to hormonal imbalances in the body. Menstruation after drug abortion normalizes when hormonal balance is balanced.
Blood after medical abortion
The termination of pregnancy with drugs is carried out in the first stages, when the inner layer has not yet had time to grow well, and the embryo is firmly attached to the wall of the uterus. Minor hemorrhages after medical abortion may be the norm.
But sometimes it happens that such periods after medication of pregnancy are caused by:
- large hormonal changes, due to which the menstrual cycle is normalized only after several months,
- physical obstruction to the passage of blood through the cervix (tightly closed neck, coagulated blood collection over the vaginal exit).
Causes of minor discharge after a mini abortion
With a mini-abortion, the main reasons are:
- the pregnancy was not stopped
- early enough
- an obstacle to the removal of menstrual blood.
Any of the above reasons can be diagnosed during a gynecological examination of a woman.
Signs of scanty discharge after medaborta
A scanty period after an abortion is manifested in such a way that the volume of discharge is sufficiently small, and only traces of it appear on the pad.
For all time of the month can be allocated no more than 50 ml of blood.
Lactating hemorrhages last from one to two days, but they can last a month, leaving a few drops a day.
The downside of most drugs are side effects. Often drugs cause severe intoxication, subsequently causing complications of the kidneys and liver. To prevent the side effects of such drugs, we want to pay attention to special phytoampons. Read more here.
The blood may be bright red, fresh, but often it is brown in color.
Scanty bleeding can be associated with a deterioration of general well-being:
- Mood spoils,
- There is irritability,
- Abdominal distention or nagging pains in the abdomen.
- Possible aching pain in the mammary glands.
Monthly after vacuum abortion
Vacuum abortion (mini-abortion) is performed by gynecological vacuum suction:
The device extracts the embryo by the force of negative pressure provided by a vacuum.
- The embryo and its membranes are independently separated from the uterine wall and go outside.
- Manipulation requires the smallest expansion of the uterine cervix.
- It lasts several minutes and is carried out under the action of local or short-term general anesthesia.
Such a mini-abortion is performed for a period of 5 to 8 weeks after fixing the ovum.
It is at this time that vacuum abortion makes it possible to safely get rid of the embryo without consequences. It does not provoke significant damage to the organs of the woman and is not aggravated by large changes in the hormonal picture.
Monthly can come as follows:
In the initial days after the manipulation spotting occurs.
- Further, more bleeding occurs.. It differs from the monthly duration and volume. An increase in the intensity of blood excretion is provided by hormonal reshaping, which appears in response to fetal extraction.
- Allocations are most often normalized. But some patients appear very abundant or very scarce hemoptysis. In some cases, they last only 1 day.
- The interval between the abortion and the first menstruation - Should minutes as many days as the usual menstrual cycle continues.
- After vacuum abortion or aspiration, menstruation can start a little earlier or later than a permanent period. Acceptable rate is considered to be up to 1.5 - 2 months.
- Menstruation may come early in just a few days. Endometrium requires time to build up the required thickness and prepare for rejection. If the regular periods came earlier than 3 weeks after the termination of pregnancy, you should contact your gynecologist.
- Often the first discharge after a mini-abortion are unnaturally small amount. After vacuum intervention, the ovaries work returns to normal in stages. By the start of the first menstrual period, the ovaries still do not have time to be used.
- Ovulation and monthly after mini-abortion, in a few months come randomly.
The speed of restoration of childbearing function in this situation depends on:
- the quality of the operation performed,
- term implantation of the ovum to the walls of the uterus,
- individual capabilities of women
- reproductive organs.
In a woman who has children, the menstrual cycle returns to normal after 3 to 4 months. If the first pregnancy stops, the reparative effect can last 7 to 9 months.
During the recovery cycle cycle there is a high risk of re-pregnancy. In order to reduce to zero the possibility of a new attachment of the ovum to the uterine wall, gynecologists advise to use oral remedies. They contribute to the rapid normalization of the ovaries.
When there are contraindications to the use of hormonal drugs, you should use another reliable method to prevent pregnancy. Secondary abortion is more risky for women's health than the first.
Monthly after instrumental abortion
After an abortion, menstruation does not stop for some time. They are very similar to the usual monthly.
This is due to the fact that the endometrium, which grows every month and separates, if pregnancy does not occur, separated and leaves the uterus in a physiological way. The veins and capillaries are damaged due to abortion and continue to bleed.
Monthly in small amounts after curettage can be the result of excessively careful removal of the endometrium of the uterus during the mechanical extraction of the embryo.
In addition, in the body of a woman there is a significant re-formation, ensuring the carrying of the fetus. After termination of pregnancy, the female body is subjected to hormonal disorders. One of the signs of such a transformation are spotting.
If there is no menstruation after the abortion?
In some patients, after an abortion, prolonged delay of menstruation may occur, which may be 35-40 days.
In such circumstances, it is best for them to immediately contact a leading gynecologist.
In particular, if at the same time there is a fever, there are sharp pains below the abdomen and nauseous feeling, passing into emetic urges.
Such signs may signal that termination of the pregnancy was performed poorly and the embryo was not completely removed. Often, such a threat is possible at critical periods of gestation (10-12 weeks).
However, with a prolonged absence of menstruation, a woman must ensure that she does not have a second pregnancy. Gynecologists allow women to have sex life after 10-15 days after the abortion. Accurately diagnose pregnancy can only gynecologist by visual inspection.
Prevention of complications after abortion
In order to quickly recover from any kind of operation, you must follow some rules.
Complete elimination of physical activity.
- The ban on hygiene in the bathroom - this can cause intense blood loss.
- In the course of several days after the operation, the body temperature should be measured.
- Avoid excessive filling of the bladder, and hardening of the feces.
- Carefully keep the crotch clean.
Finally, it should be noted that the symptoms of pregnancy will not disappear immediately after the patient has interrupted her by any of the possible methods.
Swelling and tenderness of the mammary glands, mood changes, the emergence of toxicosis, the increased presence of human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) - over time, all these manifestations disappear.
What is best for female diseases?
The downside of most drugs, including those described in this article, is side effects. Often, drugs greatly harm the body, subsequently causing complications of the kidneys and liver.
To prevent the side effects of such drugs, we want to draw attention to the special phytoampons BEAUTIFUL LIFE.
In their composition there are natural healing herbs - it gives tremendous effects of cleansing the body and restoring women's health.
Read more about how this drug helped other women read here in our article on phytoampons.
When do monthly periods begin after an abortion?
Today, doctors practice 3 methods of abortion, and depending on which of them was used, the monthly ones start sooner or later. The choice of the type of abortion depends on the timing of gestation and on the individual characteristics of the patient. So, lidocaine intolerance, for example, is a direct contraindication to surgical intervention. Consider the main types of abortion, since the chosen method depends on when and what periods usually come after an abortion:
- Pharmabort. It is also called medicamentous, since a woman will have to drink certain drugs to carry out the procedure. This is a fairly gentle method, and the monthly after this procedure comes strictly according to the cycle. The first day of menstruation is considered the onset of bleeding (miscarriage), the second day after taking the pills. That is, you do not need to re-calculate anything or fear delays. However, it is worth paying attention to what periods after an abortion have become in intensity, that is, the profusion of menstruation. It should be slightly stronger than usual, but if the bleeding is too intense, you should immediately consult a doctor,
- Vacuum. This type of abortion can also be called benign, although the uterus is damaged during its operation. Its essence lies in the fact that the fertilized egg is sucked out using a special tube. If the procedure was successful, there should also be no delay in menstruation after abortion,
- Instrumental. This type of abortion is carried out in the later periods or in the case of unsuccessful attempts to terminate a pregnancy with the previous two methods. It is very traumatic for the female body and can lead to serious complications. It is quite difficult to say when menstrual periods begin after an abortion made by surgery. If the operation was performed by an experienced specialist, then there is a chance that there will be no delays. But practice shows that restoring a cycle after such an intervention is a rather long process. Therefore, doctors often prescribe patients in the postoperative period taking contraceptive drugs that contribute to the normalization of hormone production.
The time when the first menstrual periods after an abortion appear can vary in different ways for each woman. If this does not happen for a long time, it means that a hormonal failure has occurred in the body, or the uterus has been badly damaged. In any case, you need to solve this problem as soon as possible, that is, do not delay the visit to the doctor’s consultation.
The first periods after an abortion: how not to confuse?
Despite the individual characteristics of each woman, usually menstrual periods begin at 4-5 weeks after medical intervention. However, to find out if the procedure was successful, you need not to wait for them, but to come to the control ultrasound 7-10 days. The question is not only about whether the fertilized egg was bred, but also about whether the infection was not registered, and whether everything is in order with the body's systems.
The greatest difficulty for many women lies in recognizing the differences between bleeding and menstruation. It is impossible to see the difference with the naked eye, but usually until the time when menstruation begins after an abortion, it takes at least a month, and discharge can appear already on the second day, and their duration is usually longer - up to two weeks, during which they will be less and less and less abundant.
But if doubts do arise, then you need to contact your doctor with this question. In addition, after an abortion, a woman will have to spend some time in the clinic and follow the recommendations of doctors, so that the error is almost eliminated.
Abundant periods after an abortion: is it normal?
Those women who have had an abortion without any problems are interested in the question of how much and how long their periods will last now? Most of them note that bleeding has become much more abundant and prolonged. So how much are monthly after an abortion?
Doctors can not give a definite answer. It is only known that a decrease in the duration of the menstrual cycle and its irregularity is normal in the first six months. But excessive blood loss can lead to dangerous diseases, such as anemia. In this case, the body will quickly lose iron and hemoglobin, which will affect immunity, general well-being and may subsequently lead to the development of other diseases. A woman after heavy periods feels tired, apathetic, depressed. And these are not simple emotional jumps and mood changes, but a manifestation of a lack of important elements of vital activity in the body. In addition, this situation can be a symptom of severe damage to the uterus, which is bleeding. Therefore, with intensive blood loss, you should immediately go to the doctor.
Delayed menstruation after abortion
The reasons for the lack of menstruation may be several. The most common of them is adhesions, which are formed from scar tissue and fasten together areas of internal organs. Questions and concerns about how much menstruation goes after an abortion are certainly important, but abundant and frequent menstruation rarely leads to serious problems, and adhesions, growing, can lead to infertility and other diseases. That is why delays after an abortion, especially in young women, are a sign of a great deal of complication. Modern medicine is actively fighting this phenomenon, but a course of drug treatment is only the first stage. After him, the woman will need to monitor the regularity and abundance of menstruation, to pay serious attention to their health (diet, exercise, proper rest) and for several years to be monitored regularly by a doctor.